View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
Just cause it would cost us $15/pair to ship, don’t assume CC pays the same. I was amazed at how little large vendors pay to the likes of UPS & FedEx. If they got a good margin on 2 or 3 pair of shoes they didn’t lose money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
Do you know exactly what CC pays for shipping?
I work in retail/e-commerce. A huge talking point is how to reduce returns. On average they cost USD15 once you take into account shipping (both ways), verification of shipment, re-warehousing, etc.

That's an industry average and I wouldn't be surprised if it was more for shoebox sized items, keeping in mind that they are shipping it to your door and then footing the bill for shipping back to their warehouse.

Also keep in mind a lot of retailers are working on a net margin of 10% (we are not talking gross here, we are talking after all costs) so it doesn't take much to erode that completely - my point being if you are going through 10-15 pairs of shoes and only purchased one, you've most certainly sent a retailer well into the negative.

Long story short it's unsustainable and that's not point for debate, I know it, and exactly why retailers no longer trying to 'reduce friction' on returns like including return satchels etc.

Like I said, huge discussion point and challenge in the retail industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
But it's absolutely necessary. Fine tuning the size and trying 15 different pairs to put on 2 pairs of feet, just to find the perfect fit is now a necessity. We know why now though why Costco stopped taking no-questions-asked returns on their TVs on the day after the superbowl.
Keeping in mind everything I have said - I understand where you are coming from, but the problem is that the business you are purchasing from cannot afford to provide that service at the price you currently pay.

Where that lands - you may find that in future retailers are placing a dollar cost on making a "change of mind" return... whether that is simply having to cover the return leg shipping (and they cover the cost of re-warehousing) or there is an actual cost, I don't know.

Last edited by jimoots; 02-02-2023 at 08:37 PM.