View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
It should read that the bike had inherently janky steering characteristics, goofy wheel size, and a downright ugly frame design... and the driver was an inexperienced pre-teen with a passenger on the back piloting down a 14 percent grade

Surprised that Velofix hasn't been sucked into the litigation, too. The family of the deceased seems to have sued everyone but the rabbi at the bat mitzvah. Giro, the family of the driver and so on. Someone was a fool to agree to assemble that bike, or any internet ebike. Those things are D2C and built on the cheap for the benefit of VC group. If there is a way to cheap out or skin a nickel for a fart, you can bet they'll find it. There's not a large enough labor fee that will protect a business for someone at a shop/service company to assemble it. If I don't sell them I turn them all away; too many janky parts, proprietary pieces, half baked solutions and flammable batteries.

Ebikes in the US are the Wild West, there are really no rules or oversight...and what rules there are don't seem to be enforced. The poor girl was wearing a bicycle helmet on what was basically a motorcycle and everyone was operating under the assumption that that was OK. If a case like this is what it takes to shine a light on the issues that abound with ebikes in the US and leads to set rules, testing, enforcement and accountability, I am all for what the parents are doing in suing rad power. Leave the neighbors and Giro out of it

Are RadPower bikes any worse than the millions of BSOs (Bicycle Shaped Objects) sold at discounters like Walmart and Target each year? (I didn't grab the "millions" number out of the air - there are 15 - 20 million bicycles of all types sold each year in the US, the majority not from specialty retailers, i.e. bike shops).