View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I live in Burien. I'm in a reasonably nice neighborhood, but certainly not at that level. But the riding here (at least in the immediate vicinity) is ... limited. For anything in the 1-2 hour range, you're basically looking at one loop that goes north around Alki beach, or one loop that goes south on Marine View Drive. If you've got lots of time, you can cross the city and loop Lake Washington or take a ferry to Bainbridge or Vashon, but the lack of choices in the 1-3 hour range can be frustrating. I mix it up with running; there are two good local parks for trail running.

Former homes Los Olivos, CA and rural Mass. had far better options for riding. I think that's an inherent conflict in rural versus city riding, though. If you're lucky enough to find or live in an area that's both rural and accepting of cyclists, that's a hard combination to beat.
100% agree on the riding, I've done many a ride from Burien and it didn't take long for the novelty to wear off and have us tossing the bikes in the car. But, as a metropolitan area in which to live, it's high on my list even though the traffic is next level crazy (I5 corridor is insane). It would have to be after retirement (all wife's family is there). Much better breweries than the bay area as well.