View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I don't know how you qualify this. Is it a feeling or an opinion backed up by actual incidents and/or statistics? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity.

I, too, live in Oakland. I live blocks away from Oakland High School. Not Beverley Hills, but not the grittiest section of Oakland, either. I leave my car open at night (at least I did until someone had a party in my car and left it reeking like beer for weeks). Nothing to steal and never had any issues. I've never felt unsafe. Granted, just like the author of the quoted post, I'm a big white guy.

My partner, who is very concerned about crime, has had her car broken into several times. She's also scared off a potential burglar in the wee hours of the morning. She lives in the more affluent hills of Oakland.

We live in both real violence (mass shootings) and manufactured violence (social media and "Next Door.") It seems like every election hinges on the concerns of "public safety" (often as it pertains to suburban white women).

At a certain point, "public safety" seems to be illusory.
Eh, more the occasional sounds of gunfire and stolen cars that get dumped in the neighborhood, neighbors have had cars broken into - standard Yay Area stuff. In SF we had two vehicles stolen (one was destroyed/stripped), I had my studio burglarized once.

Like I said - I don't ever feel unsafe, and it's generally just property crime. Not like OPD gonna do anything anyway. Just keep your wits about you and don't be a confrontational dumbass is kind of the rule.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 01-31-2023 at 12:52 PM.