View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Things which are unknown:

* Homelessness & sketch - I have a hard time believing anything could be worse than SF. How's Portland vs Seattle?
* Schools
* How brutal are the winters and how hot are the summers?

I hate the idea of "dumping" on folks in a lower CoL by moving there as someone that works in "tech", but SF is not sustainable. We're a mixed-income family, where one half works in a field which pays disproportionately to the other, and I really don't see the Bay Area as a possibility unless we're both hauling tech money :/
Homelessness, Sketch, and Schools are really dependent on the particular areas you pick. You can definitely find low-sketch, low-homeless, good school areas in the Portland area but you can do that in the SF area too--it just costs more in SF.

Summers in Oregon are close-to-perfect. I didn't particularly mind the winters, but they are long and grey, and they don't feel so bad in January, but when it's still cold and rainy every day in May, it starts to get harder. My wife absolutely hated living in Portland because of the winters, and she would never live there again.