View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Howdy, everyone. When I was a teenager in the '90s, shopping for my first "real" bike, the guy at the store told me to just get the cheapest helmet that fit. His logic was basically that all helmets protect your head exactly the same - it would be super awful if people without a lot of money would be denied adequate protection! So, with that in mind, I've always worn pretty cheap helmets. I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than $70 for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Every manufacturer I've spoken with has recommended replacing your helmet every three years, and not buying a helmet that's been sitting around on a shelf for more than a 2-3 years. Car seats for infants and toddlers also have a use-life of ~6 years. Is it a sales conspiracy? Are they being overly cautious? Maybe and maybe, but what they heck, I'll spend a couple of hundred bucks every few years for some fresh headgear.

I sell hundreds upon hundreds of helmets a year. I usually start with the Specialized Align II, which, as much a I'm pissed at Specialized, have to admit is the best sub $60 helmet on the market. Then I say, 'If you'd like something a little lighter, a little sleeker looking, and with better ventilation for longer rides try this.' And show options in the $100-$150 range.
Above that, the improvements *are* there, but, just like with bikes, the returns per dollar spent diminish significantly.
Seems like we had a similar upbringing in cycling, Turkle. I have never spent more than $100- I did however get employee purchasing on most of them.

Then those people came along. Honestly, I can't suffer another myth made up by Big Bike Marketing. I've said this on this forum before, and I'll say it again. Until there is substantial research that a helmet needs to be "tennis-ball vacuum sealed tube-fresh" to work, I am not buying that. They just sorta said it, and everyone jumped on board, because it means selling more helmets. It's wasteful, and I'm not letting the it get to me, and I refused to tell clients of the shop that story.

Here's the deal. If your helmet is in a crash, replace. Cracked-replace... If it's got piece of the plastic cover missing, or chunks of styrofoam missing, replace. Don't replace because it's 2 years old. https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm
https://www.consumerreports.org/bike...t-a5593905789/

I have nothing against spending more to get features. But it's not like if you spend under $60, you don't care about the safety of your head. That's preposterous- it really is. Get a helmet from a bike-specific company that's approved by regulatory agency, CPSC/Snell, and go ride your bike. No reason to complicate this one.

I have a Specialized Airnet, btw- really nice, comfortable and slightly aero, but not expensive. And they're on closeout on the website now.

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-30-2023 at 12:23 AM.