View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 11:13 AM

Weigle, Wojcik, IF, Serotta, Fat City: End of an Era?

I’m an old fart that prefers steel frames and rim brakes. When I was younger, I could not afford the custom bikes of the era as I was busy making other poor life choices, eventually getting married, raising kids, etc. etc. Now that I’m in a place where I could afford a $10k-$15k custom bike, I have no interest in doing so. My collection is mostly 10-20 year old bikes that started as expensive custom builds for their original owners. As others have said, there is magic in the newness of a custom “forever” bike, but eventually that wears off and it becomes another bike in the stable, one that will most likely be sold. I much prefer to be the guy that buys your custom “forever” bike once you realize that forever is a mighty long time and you want to sell it in favor of something else or life forces changes in your priorities.

So please, keep buying custom bikes. I’ll be there to buy them from you once that day inevitably comes. While most of my bikes are metal, the Meivici that I picked up not long ago convinced me that not all carbon is bad. Who knows, you might be the person that sells me the bike that converts me to the gospel of disc brakes and electronic shifting.

I have bad ideas…