View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
What does "changed with the times" mean? IF we're building gravel bikes, disk brakes, electronic shifting. What weren't doing being on social media?
Excellent question. And that's what I believe I'm trying to find out. There is a clear difference between a mountain bike built for Rocky Mountain, Sierras, slickrock-laden Southwest riding as one built for East Coast chunk and low-speed technical labyrinth-esque singletrack.

For those that don't know, I cut my teeth growing up in New England, born and raised, and have a lot of hometown pride. NH high school graduate, started an MTB Club/Team at my school. I grew up with homies rolling in Fat Chances, Wojciks, Weigles and IF into the shop-- and those were the bikes I considered exemplars of utmost class. This thread has no intent of poo-pooing the NE/NY region. We will always be relevant!

It seems on the national level, from where I sit- everyone is obsessed with how much travel, and long/slack you can make a bike. Here in MN we don't need it. In NE/NY you don't need it.

So you've got a Fat Chance, for instance, with Moab-ready front travel, that has pretty much traditional east coast geo. Seems like a mismatch. Not to mention, could either of us fit on that size Small Yo Eddy, CMG? I couldn't even straddle the top tube, according to those charts.

So, I'm not meaning to start a fued, or omit any important builders, but it seems that the era of builders I grew up with are struggling with a dichotomy... either build for the national trends, and remain "relevant" or stick to their 'roots' (pun intended), and build for a loyal fanbase closer to home.

The reason I bring up Rusty Lion, I hope some of you picked up on that nuance. I remember him saying brazing steel would cost the consumer an embarrasing sum of money that they are not prepared to bring to market at this juncture. Ironically, some of the forerunner brands most talked about on this forum are doing just that-- making the bike with traditional craftsmanship, cost-be-damned, no apologies.

I haven't seen an IF being shown off in a long time. Maybe I need Instagram, but I can't devote any more time to any apps, especially Meta-controlled ones.

I have seen 0 new Serottas. I believe they are in business, but does anyone have one, or is $10-14k a little cost prohibitive? Who has one? How does it ride?

Fat Chance...same
Wojcik, I read an article that he was welding some bikeshare bikes (?)
Frank the Welder... Crust Alumalith, don't get me started (that really showed my ornery side in that thread )

As for the techniques, I never need someone like an IF to do anything differently for me to desire one. But they need web presence, and they need it fast- ATMO. Without the glamor shots, can a company grow in this present reality?

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-28-2023 at 11:56 AM.