View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Gotta disagree with you here. The best sports writing rarely involves the sport itself. Brady is a talented writer. Cycling is a ruminative sport. I can see how testing your mettle against an imposing mountain while contemplating the implosion of your marriage would make for gripping material. I'll put it on my reading list.

Who wants to read an entire article about the nuances of cadence? I don't.
I don't know what you want to read, but both my wife and I independently picked up that article thinking to ourselves "oh, cycling in Japan. Japan was a fun place to visit and we like cycling, I'd like to learn more about cycling in Japan in case we want to try that when we go back there."

And then we both put down the article thinking to ourselves "***, why did we just read about some guy-we-don't-care-about's depression and bad marriage."

If you're someone who likes reading about someone's depression and bad marriage, I'm sure you'd love the article, but I imagine readers of Depression and Bad Marriage Magazine would be similarly disappointed if the cover story was all about a bicycle adventure.