Thread: Ot - usmnt
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
Thanks, I did read the full article. I also saw Deshamps re-upped for another 4 years with the French team.

I also mentioned. I wanted to hear from soccer geeks, which implied I don’t know much about the inner workings of soccer.

Next time I will clarify that I read the full article. I apologize for my lack of soccer understanding.
Other than one poster who knows someone in the know, most of us here aren't really connected to much. Which is another way of saying that what we write is likely something you have read elsewhere.

@yinzerniner also gave you a bona fide take on his view of the situation, a take that I agree with; but you chose to take umbrage at and focus on "if you read the whole article".

To further expand upon things, @yinzerniner's point that "Zidane will have the pick of the litter when it comes to his next position" is spot on. The man is eyeing only a few jobs: RM (when Ancelloti decides to leave), France NT, and Juve. The U.S. is simply not in the same class as that of Zidane's ambitions. It would be comparable to a region liberal arts college trying to hire away a provost from an Ivy League institution. There's a chance that the latter could be lured away (mainly by compensation), but the latter has eyes primed for other opportunities and might not have the requisite skillset to succeed at the job.

This applies to soccer as well. Take, for instance, Carlos Ancelloti. Great trainer of great talents, more known for making a coherent team out of big time players with big egos; but when he was the manager of Everton, he really didn't do too much better than less feted managers. The U.S. not only represents a less prestigious job but may also require qualifications that Zidane does not possess.

Last edited by echappist; 01-08-2023 at 04:20 PM.