View Single Post
Old 11-16-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Embarrassing. Better to have won nothing at all than whatever that "award" is supposed to be.

Lots of gnashing of teeth in this thread, not a lot of stepping up to support the creators you guys seem to love. So it goes, as it's always gone.

If James Huang leaves and goes self-funded I'll be first in line to support him with cash, and not just kind words online. "Do better" indeed.
Step up how? You say all this like there was a mechanism to self fund this and keep it rolling that we all just sat on our hands with. They did this under the banner of CT. CT paid for this content and they made a point of emphasizing that, that no sponsor dollars subsidized it which is why they could speak their views and not from a marketing sheet. The stepping up I see, and agree with, is the middle finger to outside, not sending them my money any more, and I'll follow the people.

I think the bigger point here that's going missed, and in my opinion why they got shown the door is that Nerd Alert is the polar opposite of the message that Outside and most mass market cycling media wants to send, which is to repeat whatever promotional materials a brand provides to the "reviewer". They don't want opinions, they want regurgitation. I'll bet that Nerd Alert cost Outside add revenue from brands, so they canned it and the most vocal people part of it.

Oh and thanks for putting down someone for being recognized for the work they do and their contribution to their space and community because it doesn't meet whatever your perceived standard of excellence is. How's the view from up there?