View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

I recently installed a closet system in my condo. Worth every penny. I think you should get a combination of the tool storage system and the wire mesh system; the tool storage system doesn't look like it offers much in the way of shelving.

For the closet storage system, everything hinges on ensuring the top rail is level. And the screws must go into studs for strength. If you can't find the studs with a stud finder, use a magnet to locate the sheetrock screws. Secure the rail to the studs for a strong installation. Same goes for the adjustable, slotted uprights. If you can't hit the studs, use toggle bolts and try to avoid the studs; plastic anchors won't be strong enough.

Cutting the wire mesh is easiest with bolt cutters and besides, using a hacksaw will tempt you to cut too close to the ends, so the plastic protective caps won't fit.

Rubbermaid sells a close mesh shelving (what you see in the photo) which fits the same system (you can mix/match on the same rails) but is more expensive and only necessary for smaller items such as a small bottle of chain lube, etc. . Choose the shelving for your needs.
I like the simplicity of this stuff, ease of instal and the overall ecosystem of product. It's been in essentially ever closet and pantry we've had in the last 15 years but man do I dislike those wire shelves. I always have stuff slide through the grates. A nice upgrade is to cut 1/4" ply "decking" for the shelves.