View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 01:08 PM

We were a one car family until I changed jobs over three years ago. One full year of 15 mile commutes each way by bicycle made me realize I wanted a second car. Enter a two year old Nissan Leaf for $10K with 23K miles on the odometer. We figured we would keep it two or three years, then upgrade to something with better range. We had no idea we would fall in love with the damned thing! Yeah, it's a cheap car with ****ty visibility, and I don't like it much as a car, but I love the electric powertrain. And for 10 grand, it is worth every penny.

Our old Subie wagon died this year, and I was looking forward to jumping into a VW Sportwagen. My wife had other ideas and changed my mind. We bought a '16 Ford C-Max plug-in. It is a much nicer car than the Leaf and I hope it has enough room for our week-long car-camping trips that the Subie excelled at. We'll see.

So now both of us can drive to work when needed and not use any gas. We already plan to sell the Ford in a couple years and go full electric. Several friends have already volunteered to trade cars with us when we need the extra range for trips (including a friend with a Sportwagen).

Electric is the way to go. I am convinced. I will forever miss my beloved manual transmissions, but that's about it.