View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
With many EVs, you can charge from a standard 120 volt outlet, or you can install a 220 volt charging outlet. The latter will charge roughly twice as fast.
Right... and if you have to hire an electrician to come out and add 220v to the garage you can do something even higher capacity while you're doing it.

I have a detached garage, no way I'm adding 220v out there myself.. for one thing I don't even want to dig up the electrical conduit, for another 220v is scary enough I'd be worried about violating code and burning the garage down.

One of my friends got a Model 3 this Summer and seemed to be able to hook it up himself (attached garage) but I'm not sure he did 220v, I would be comfortable adding a 120v hookup to the existing wiring.

Since the car is at home the most it's the most logical place to have a good charging setup.

On a practical level this will get harder as the cars get more popular but I've never seen free gas being offered. There are actually several places convenient to me I've seen free charging for EVs. We have free charging in our office park. AFAIK that's provided by the Federal Government for FAA employees in the park but it's explicitly marked that it's open for other employees.

And we have free EV charging near town hall in our town. You might say "why would you go to town hall". But our High School, Middle School, Recreation Department/Child care, Police Department, and Fire Department are also within 200 yards of those EV charging stations, so we're actually in the vicinity many times each week.

Neither of these are free cause taxes have to be paying for them but I already have to pay the taxes.