View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 01:54 PM

This article is almost 2 years old but I thought it was an interesting viewpoint on EVs and the business side of more environmentally "friendly" cars. I happen to have relatives on my wife's side of the family who are about as opposite on the spectrum of personalities as possible and one has a Tesla Model 3 and the other has a Chevy Bolt. I have driven both, I much prefer the Tesla. Both have the unique and fantastic acceleration from instant torque you get with an EV. The Tesla feels like an impressive piece of technology from a company focused on making electric cars while the Bolt feels like a basic economy car that was electrified with seats and seating position that is as bad as I have ever experienced in a car. The Tesla owner has easily gone on 400+ mile trips from New Jersey to Maine because he is organized and enjoys planning a logical itinerary of where charging stations are located along with coffee or lunch stops. He is retired so has time to travel at his own pace and in his words isn't bothered by taking longer stops to recharge because he doesn't want to be in the car for more than 300 miles at a time with out taking a longer break so it gives him time to enjoy a long lunch. The Bolt owner is not organized and is always having to change plans because of not enough battery or convenient charging stations to overcome a lack of planning ahead. One could travel across the country in his EV while the other has trouble getting through the day in her home town of Boston which should be easy to navigate because of the ability to charge at home in her garage combined with the availability of charging stations just about everywhere she goes.

There is only one person who can answer the question of whether or not an EV is a good choice and that is the person buying it. Take a look at how you drive everyday and if that fits within the parameters of what an EV does well or if you can easily make adjustments to lifestyle that will accommodate the benefits of an EV then it is a great choice. If you aren't good at planning or don't change your mindset and try to drive an EV like a "regular" car you might find yourself being frustrated in certain situations, that isn't the fault of the machine but the person using the machine. If you do decide to buy an EV and it is for environmental reasons then I think the next step is to consider some of the points in the article and how the choice you make impacts the environment and market for all cars.

https://medium.com/@briankent/the-re...t-c6dc1decf75d