View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 AM

Old Potatoe, I suggest there's a lot of analysis that's been done that answers most of your concerns.

- EVs have less life cycle impact and emissions even including the battery production and its embodied carbon. It depends on the dirtiness of the grid, and CO is different than where I live in MA for sure. Note how many systems are absent when the gasoline system exits.
- Solar and wind and grid connected storage (did anyone see the company planning the ski lift version, with weights?) will on economics replace most fossil generation. Savvy investment managers recognize this (https://www.ft.com/content/dcc26620-...d-ab8ec6435630)
Range increases every year. My brother bought a Kia Niro EV this summer and they haven't had any issues at all with range. I had a 2015 Nissan Leaf and it was much much worse. Now we have a Hyundai Ioniq plug-in hybrid, and get 30-40 miles on electric and 52-54 mpg on long trips on gas. Last 12 months has been 1,509 kWh (we have solar so that comes from our roof) and 104 gallons for 11,492 miles.
- Yes, air travel is a huge personal impact. So much of it is discretionary. Good place to reduce one's carbon footprint.
- Note that natural gas leaks and well head emissions dramatically increase the carbon impact of NG. Measurements in MA show the gas utilities are dramatically under-estimating distribution leaks.