View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
That's exactly what a low-trail fork did for me. I have a Soma Fogcutter that had 57mm trail with the stock fork. I swapped in the Soma low-trail disc fork and dropped the trail to 35mm and it's a completely different bike both with and without a front load - but moreso with. Especially on anything loose or on wet pavement.

The vast majority of frames designed around low-trail are effectively no different than those designed for mid-trail. For the OP's complaint wrt the Surly Cross Check - certainly a low-trail fork will offer the change he's looking for without other major geometry considerations:
I don't disagree that a fork swap can make a night and day difference in the handling with front loads. I don't disagree with your experience or what you are effectively saying for you.

However, my overall point is in disagreement with your bolded statement. I think it's far from certain.

It likely sounds like I'm trying to be argumentative, but I'm not so I'm going to stop commenting here after saying that low-trail geometry is really one of those things that one has to try for themselves and the "feel" of it is interpreted very differently by people.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 04-16-2020 at 10:32 AM.