View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I've been watching some bikes on ebay (and here) and I'm pretty surprised on how low the resale value is.

So what bike(s) has the best resale value?
There is no general rule.

I think the "value" of the resale needs to be defined: How much off of the initial purchase price?, and then ongoing depreciation from there.
And then the time frame: 6-months resale from new is clearly different from 5/10 years out.
It is not great, in general.
Bicycles are bad financial investments, in general.

So: Very, very few, depending 99.99% on pedigree, condition, and some collector's level of desire, or some rider's level of "need".

So again there is no general rule, and I definitely do not think it is very brand-specific, except for perhaps for a few very rare and "hallowed" names like the mentioned Confente, Eisentraut, etc., or rare one-off, limited editions (and even at that those things sit on eBay at over-valued $15-20K asking prices for years on end; those Colnagos for instance). Even a NOS Moots 26" HT has very little "value" now, unless one finds that one exact buyer at that exact right time.

Bicycle re-sale values in the majority are not at all positive, just as the vast majority of cars, etc are not. These things sure are not Rolex watches or Tiffany diamonds, where essentially an entire category has positive value. These things are more fleeting, like fashion, and I think future resale market predictability = 0.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 07-10-2019 at 02:31 PM.