View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 07:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Make your first wheels you build last the longest.

Ultegra hubs (Record if you own Campy, sorry no more Chorus except NOS)
Velocity, Mavic, DT or IRD rims.
Sapim Race, DT Competition or Wheelsmith DB 14 spokes (they're all good)
brass nipples
32 spokes 3 cross all around

It's really basic, but its a formula that has worked for over a century. If you plan on building more than one set of wheels in the future here are some tools I recommend that aren't too expensive.

Park tensiometer (decent accuracy)
Wheelsmith rim rods (the only way to get a good ERD is to measure yourself).
Dish tool
Good spoke wrench (Spokey is good and cheap)
antiseize compound
grease
truing stand (an upside-down bike can work)

To get consistent results, get the components together and measure them. Don't get the spokes until you have all the measurements and have plugged them into a calculator (www.dtswiss.com has a great one). I have seen ERD (effective rim diameter) numbers supplied from the manufacturer that have been off by enough to have the wrong length spokes. Nothing is worse than building a set of wheels and finding out you have the wrong length 3/4 into the build.

Building them right does more to making wheels that last more than buying the best components.

Get the books mentioned above (Sheldon's site is also a must read) and set aside plenty of time. To plan on finishing 2 wheels in one night. Concentrate on one wheel and the front is a good place to start. Patience is your best tool. Post your results. You will be fine.
As I was gearing up for my first build, I went back and re-read Ergott pal's post. He shares his knowledge freely, keeps no secrets.