View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I recently completed a 9-week intensive cardiac rehabilitation program (Ornish) following my open-heart surgery. The program was excellent, and I and my fellow participants all showed good to excellent improvement even after such a short time. It is a lifetime lifestyle revision, really, but the effectiveness starts very soon.

The Ornish program comprises four modalities:
  • Exercise/Fitness
  • Diet
  • Communication/Support
  • Stress Management

The first three modalities are self-explanatory in terms of health benefits. The fourth, Stress Management, consists of gentle (not the weird aggro-television stuff), focused yoga and meditation, min 30 minutes max 60 minutes per day if possible (very hard to do even 30). Fortunately there is no "hippie-ness, dream catching, or "ohhhmmmm"-ing" about it at all...just very relaxed but very focused concentration. "Mindfulness", exactly...that is a term they used over and over.

Long-term studies have shown that while of course the other three modalities are critically important, Stress Management has been the component most responsible for not only cardiac health improvement but actually also reversal of the original (stress-induced) conditions.

I too was a real skeptic at first, and now instead am a believer in the effectiveness of proper stress management/yoga/meditation. Truly relaxing is critical and extremely helpful; it leads to much more energy, to much better sleep, to a healthier heart and mind, etc.
I had bypass surgery in 1987. At that time heart disease was considered non reversible. Dr. Ornih's first book came out around 1990. A lot of people thought this almost vegetarian diet was rather radical. Just another doctor trying to make a few bucks with a different approach to heart disease.

Dr. Ornish got results...big time. Tests have shown real reduction of plaque in arteries. I had a couple of friends that refused to do any lifestyle change after heart surgery. One died at 42 after a second heart surgery. The other was 51. Some people don't seem to get the message.