View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Kevan's Rose

My mother and her old cadillac.......

My mother and father were very close, and after my father died my mother kept the last car they shared together as it was so meaningful to her. As time passed, the condition of the car slowly deteriorated. One day I drove the car. I was amazed at how scary/pathetic the steering was- You simply could not drive the car in a straight line without grossly turning the steering wheel to compensate for an obvious mechanical problem. If the car hit an imperfection/rut in the road, the car would simply take off in the direction that the imperfection followed. You had to make a significant movement of the steering wheel or the car would keep going in that direction. It almost felt as if the car was steering on its own.

I asked my mother if she noticed anything wrong with the steering and she absolutely did not. I think it was a function of two things- the change in the steering probably occurred over a long period of time so that my mother probably slowly compensated as the change was occurring, and she probably was one of the people aforementioned in this thread that simply do not have sensitivity to the vehicle ....In my mother's case it was really quite amazing as the steering problem was so evident.

No doubt in my mind that there is a continuum of sensitivity to ride feel, be it a car or a bicycle. My mother being at one end of the continuum- extremely insensitive.

Sensitively Seeking Small Steering Sensations,

Serotta Sandy