View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 AM

This is all a great help. Thank you for taking the time to post. I was asked to describe differences. The Merckx does have more zip accelerating on the flat or on a hill. Both corner well for large bikes and a technically poor pilot. I'm not interested in blowing my own trumpet regarding speed but I have done pretty well riding a couple of time trials on the old Motorola and the local hill climbs have also felt my 'power'.
Anyway, the Merckx is the bike that climbs faster. The Peugeot seems comfier over a whole day in the saddle. Is the 531 springier than the SL? No-one has commented on this difference yet.
Back to the measurements. Despite the effort to kit both bikes out in a similiar way, I have assumed them to be the same when now after a re-measure they are not. The protractor on the head and seattubes is pretty difficult to get an exact reading but they seem to be the same anyway. What is different is the front centre measurement. The Peu is 602 and the Merckx is 598mm. As angles appear the same and top/seat tubes are, there could be a difference in rake. Both bikes were already set up with the rear wheel 412mm from bb centre. So now we have a bike 1cm higher, 4mm longer and slower. I'm sure that would make sense to the builders here. I'm still convinced the actual tubing has a part to play too.
Now I'm worried the Corsa Extra I am getting will have an 'old school' geometry with longer rake also and I won't feel better on it than on the Corsa.