View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Reviews and Recapitulation

I've been searching for information about parts and gear recently, things I'd like to buy soon, or maybe not depending on what I find people have said. Good, thoughtful long-term reviews are nice to have when it's time to spend money, especially when marketing is thought of as an honorable profession these days. So, I thought I would contribute my fraction to the whole, my ideas about some of my most prized everyday stuff when it comes to bikes and riding.

Stan's NoTubes Tubeless Conversion and Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tires

Converting to tubeless is far and away the most significant single improvement I've ever experienced as a cyclist, bar none. And I knew it from the first pedal stroke. I've always been an advocate for larger volume when it came to tires, on or off road, and for the past few years I've preferred 25mm or larger tires for all road riding. Tubulars notwithstanding, I thought my Vittoria Open Corsas were as good as tires got. I could keep them at a relatively low ninety psi for comfort and decreased rolling resistance, and they lasted pretty well. The 23mm Hutchinsons feel so much better, though, it's hard to quantify it. Imagine a really good tubular at 75 psi (which is the pressure I like my Fusions at) and you get the idea. Grip is substantial, cornering and braking. And the best part: I haven't had a single flat in six months. Living in Manhattan, that's more than impressive, but I know lots of people who have worn out their tubeless tires before flatting. Converting one's existing wheels is easy as long as the mechanic is familiar with tubeless quirks. It should be mentioned that my Zipps lost some spoke tension after the conversion, which I noticed immediately in the rear wheel. Fixing that was simple, of course, but it's a common phenomenon, so watch out. Otherwise, I really do not find a downside. Perhaps the tires could be lighter. Those who feel a choice of options is important will feel disappointed, but the Fusion is so superior to any convention tire, absence of choice seems a moot point.

Rapha Pro Team Bib Shorts

I have four pairs of the Pro Team shorts. That should give clear indication of how much I like them. They are the most unobtrusive piece of cycling kit I've ever worn, so much so that I can't think of a single ride in which I've noticed anything about them. Paired with Rapha's chamois cream, which is relatively thin, smelling like patchouli and pine, my area is always in good shape. Most, if they are honest, like the styling. What more can I say about the article itself? Regarding the provenance, it's a serious issue. Along with my iPhone and Macbook, it is conspicuously expensive and dubiously produced, and one of the things I own that, nevertheless, I really wouldn't want to do without. I suppose that's just to say I feel guilty. I don't have any excuse for owning these rather than something else other than that they work superbly. I will say to Rapha's credit that when a pair of my short's silicon grippers started to peel off after a year, they replaced the shorts for free, no questions asked. This happened to only one pair of my shorts.

Mission Workshop Orion and Bosun Jackets

One a hardshell, one a soft. One of Schoeller c_change, one of Smartwool. I bought the Orion first, but having done that, I knew I'd have to have the Bosun. They are so excellent together, but individually they are no less outstanding. For the past couple years I have worn at least one of them nearly every day from October to May. The Orion is wind- and waterproof, and the bosun insulates. On the bike I use the bosun as I would a long sleeve jersey, and it's good down to around forty-five degrees. Layer with the Orion and you can ride below freezing, which is about my cutoff anyway. Neither is cheap, but both are lasting. I suppose that's all I ask of an expensive piece: last. The fit is of the "cycling" type, which means outstanding for me, being skinny and all. There are all sorts of features one can read about elsewhere, but since the only one I notice is the large rear pocket, that's the only one I'll mention.