View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 03:31 PM

First, I'll contradict Peter P's assertion that bladed spokes flex more. You aren't taking the spoke out of a straight line when you stress it laterally, you are just pulling it harder or less hard. The stiffness of a spoke is a function of the cross sectional area of the spoke and the Young's modulus of the spoke material. Since most spokes are made out of the same material, cross sectional area matters, but section shape doesn't.

The #1 issue that flexy wheels have ever exhibited to me is understeering in hard cornering. Lace a 32h Open Pro with a 16h front hub and go rip some corners and you'll see what I'm saying. It's awful.

Really heavy wheels also corner less well, to me, than lighter wheels. I've known people who prefer the feel of heavy wheels (old, deep carbon rim brake wheels with alloy brake tracks, 2000g for the set type of stuff). Anything where you're throwing the bike around pretty hard, you will notice substantive differences in wheel weights.

The "spin up" stuff has always smelled like BS to me.

It was quite a while ago that I started thinking of wheels as "tire holders." Absent any notably bad characteristics - very heavy weight, profound lack of stiffness, bad build, unreliable hubs, etc - the differences between wheels are really down to the differences between the tires on them, and the pressure those tires are inflated to.

With the wheels you have, assuming you're putting road tires on them, I'd be in absolutely no hurry to buy anything else and wouldn't expect much difference from anything but a super light set (which may or may not be appropriate for what you're doing).