View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I bet they did something that causes the strip chip to both strip whatever is on the chain and "capture" it so that it doesn't get distributed through the wax, or it is just incorporated into the wax in a way that doesn't matter.

If they are all in on this at least they seem to be coming out with products that make it easier and easier. That wax pot setup looks pretty cool and probably takes a lot less room than home grown setups.
https://escapecollective.com/silca-s...greased-chain/

The escape collective article briefly touches upon the science of it

Quote:
Unlike those at the Purdue University in Indiana who collaborated with Silca on this product, I lack the PhD in chemistry to understand and correctly explain the ‘how’ behind the StripChip. Still, I’ll give it a crack [We have faith in you, Dave – Ed.]. Fundamentally, the StripChip is based on the growing science of oleogelation, which is set to be a big thing in the food industry as a healthier alternative to hydrogenation in creating solids out of oils. Or, as my small brain understands it, the StripChip contains a high percentage of unicorn tears (oleogels), which attach to oil, turning them into a harder long-chain fatty acid that more closely mimics the paraffin wax [Nailed it, Dave – Ed.].
It seems like a great solution for people waxing their chains at home where the volume is low, mostly saving time rather than $$. In a shop situation where you may be waxing multiple chains at once, using a separate degreaser will still likely be the more effective solution. Unless the stripchip provides for a better functional benefit having converted the existing lube (into the long chain fatty acid) on the chain.

Cool stuff for sure.