View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
All true..helicopters can operate 'clear of clouds' but pretty sure, still need 3 miles vis. As for 2 crew..really depends...A lot of aircraft are single pilot certified, even in IFR, the S-76 is. No guarantee that this aircraft wouldn't have flown into the hill with 2 pilots. I thinking he didn't have 3 miles vis tho..
The pilot requested and received a Special VFR clearance to operate within the Class C and D airspace around Burbank and Van Nuys airports. This allowed him to operate VFR with less than 3 miles vis. After he left that area, he was in
Class G airspace within 1,200 ft. Above Ground Level (AGL), so he only needed to remain clear of clouds (see FAR 91.155) in a helicopter.

I cut my teeth as a young pilot flying single-pilot IFR in Barons and Navajos. Winters full of ice and snow, summers dodging thunderstorms. I was legal and worked very hard to stay safe, but felt much safer when I moved up to two-pilot operations in turboprops and jets. Two well-trained pilots trump one in my book, especially under IMC in very complicated airspace like the LA basin.

For context, I have enormous respect for your flying background! Naval aviators have tremendous responsibilities. Their skills and the training required to conduct their missions is amazing. I'm just bringing in my background from commercial flying in everything from small twins to large business jets.

Greg