View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM

Lowering carbon footprint

This past weekend, after much research, my wife and I purchased an bike - specifically the Tern HSD9.
Why this bike?
It can haul a sh*tload of stuff without going full in on a cargo bike.
Handling is quite nice for intended use - running errands (shopping et al) and occasional commute into city or my wife commuting to school where she works.
It is very versatile in sizing as we have two adopted girls from China, one 5' the other 5'4" while wife and I are far taller so everyone can use.

Having ridden it a couple of times now quite impressed with handling, the Bosch drive and overall design/attention to detail of Tern's engineers.

My ultimate goal is to have this bike displace at least half of our car trips that are under 10miles, at least until the weather turns for the worse here in New England and then we'll take it as it comes.

If we really want to do something about climate change, this may be a great first step that could lead civic leaders to more strongly promote bike use in their congested cities. We saw a glimmer of what might be possible during the height of pandemic, let us not slip back to old habits.

BTW, in talking to one of the shop managers at Belmont Wheelworks here in Boston area he told me ebike sales are skyrocketing - up over 300% this yr. While at the store, I estimate that 40% of all those coming in to look at bikes were checking out ebikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TernHSD9sml.jpg (153.7 KB, 339 views)