View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
I used to ride a 2014 Tamland that I customized w/a Spot CX fork, WTB i23 KOM w/Hope 2 Evos, Cowchippers, 46/30t crank, bodyfloat, running the 40mm Nanos. Built it just how I wanted. Love it, but decided I really needed 2.1-2.3 vs. 40-44mm tires.

It has been so worth it. Every time I hit a 10-16% grade going up or down (lots of them on Marin fireroads), it is so nice to be running a larger contact patch with 26/28 psi. Dropped the psi I run by about 10. Singletrack is also way more fun. But, the Cutty feels like a MOUNTAIN BIKE, albeit one that is tolerable on paved roads.

My quiver is road bike, Cutthroat, full suspension mtn bike. I compromised gravel for more comfort on rocky, rooty, steep, loose, roads of Mt Tam.

If your Warbird is only ok for road rides, you will not like Cutty on pavement. If you're spending more of your time on gravel, you may want to keep Warbird, maybe get a fork with better clearance. It will slacken the headset angle and make sure you would not have severe toe overlap.

For example, Black Mountain Cycles makes a monster cross fork that fits 29x2.1 so you could run a Thunder Burt which is a fast mountain bike tire. The axle crown is only 5mm longer than your Warbird's stock fork, comes in 50mm offset. And its like $140, so could be a cheap experiment. That is way cheaper than a new bike. Pair that with a bodyfloat and you might be in business. The bodyfloat looks like a gimmick but it enabled me to keep up with fitter riders becuase I could keep the power on over rougher stuff.
Thanks for the insight. I've got a road bike as well (Mr Pink), which I was planning on selling, but maybe I'll hold on to it. Hopefully I'll come across a good deal on a Cutthroat so I can try it out.