View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 AM

I use an Apple Watch 4 with an iPhone X. I always hated wearing a watch while riding, and use a Garmin Edge 1030 to see time, weather, etc. I started wearing the watch while on my MTB so I don’t need to carry my phone. In a pinch, I can use my watch to make calls, open my garage door, check weather, etc. It’s also nice to get haptic alerts on my wrist. I also like being able to see incoming messages and email on my watch while in business meetings without having to look at my phone.

With AirPods, the watch works great to play music, either from the watch without the phone, or with the phone, in which case I can leave my phone in my pocket and use the watch as a remote. I can also use Siri on my watch to do all sorts of things, like select music, make calls, dictate and reply to messages if the surroundings permit, etc.

There are some other really cool capabilities with 3rd-party apps. My watch gets alerts from my ValentineOne radar detector using an App on my iPhone called V1Driver. I can mute the audio and get haptic and visual notifications on my wrist. I use “one-touch record” to record things occasionally, and have a similar app to record telephone calls.

There are some apps I’d like to see on the watch. For one, I’d like Garmin to create an app so when navigating using my Edge, I could get haptic alerts to upcoming turns. I’d also like to see a SiriusXM app for the watch to be used without the phone.

I really like the Apple Watch.