View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Can't comment on either of these in particular detail but the Olympus is a 4/3" camera and the Fuji is an APS-C.

I would be biased against the 4/3" here, and not for a reason you might expect.

Cameras are getting squeezed by smartphones. It gets harder and harder to justify carrying a camera kit around year by year.

If you're going to carry one, IMO go for the biggest sensor you can carry because you're maximizing the difference from the smartphone camera you're always carrying around.

I have an EOS 5D Mark III... it is getting long in the tooth (though no where close to worn out) but I'm not terribly excited about replacing it even though it's sufficiently large to be very optically different than a smartphone.

I'm actually way more excited about getting my hands on a phone like the iPhone 11 Pro models that have 3 lenses in them next time around. Having the ultrawide/standardish/telephoto-ish in the point & shoot I have all the time is really exciting.

So given that I'd lean towards the Fuji because it's going to get you more of the "big sensor" look.

I have hundreds of thousands of RAW images sitting on a file server. I'd also put value on the whole idea of a camera that you really like the in-camera JPGs. It saves a lot of time and grief and reduces a lot of friction. At some point we all decided we were really serious and started shooting raw.. but it increases that friction and effort to use the fancy camera instead of the smartphone. And if you're not regularly making giant prints it doesn't matter all that much. I love the Canon JPGs but for some reason am stuck on raw. I should be shooting both and trashing the .CR2 files except for select images that are candidates for big prints if I think about it.

Last edited by benb; 12-05-2019 at 01:35 PM.