View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
You are of course right on..........a muddy dirt road and 23's don't well mix. I suppose I should have but the word 'dry' in there somewhere.

I rarely ride on dirt when it is deep wet. My ride yesterday had a few wet spots that could be avoided with ease and the rest was moist (not splashy) at best.

Here in MT this is the best time of year to ride dirt. In mid summer the dirt tends to get very dry and dusty and the dust can even get deep. So I tend to ride the dirt roads this time of year and until it gets really dry.........then it's a switch to mostly paved. Then once the snow has left the high peaks I get the MTB out and then finally road and cross in the fall.

And then of course fatbike in the winter on the snow.

Dave
Most of your description plays the same in Minnesota, except for the dryness on the gravel roads.

We have so many rural riding opportunities here in Minnesota, it only makes sense to mirror bicycle design with the conditions.

So many new routes and adventures open up when a person rethinks this a bit.

Besides, the city streets here in St. Paul stink with potholes and I wish I had built my Kvales with big tire capability.