View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Except, you can equate Apple's massive tax dodging schemes as taxpayer cash. (a gov subsidy or tax expenditure are roughly the same) In this realm, Apple is the top of the heap.
I can see that point, but it is a weaker argument. To my knowledge, there is no special tax break for big tech companies. It is an arbitrage of a patchwork of tax regimes that gives rise to the tax advantage. Not a tax credit directly aimed at Apples iPhone X. Further, Apple would still be profitable without the tax shenanigans.

Tesla on the other hand would certainly sell fewer cars if the subsidy was not available. And add on to that it is a tax subsidy that benefits the well to do who have the means to buy a Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I have yet to find a V3, I can get up to 464/hr for maybe 10 minutes with V2 superchargers...just gives me enough time to get a coffee and restroom...not sure why everyone feels like they need to charge any faster...remember most of the charging is done at home overnight and never going to the gas station would be fine with me!

As for Tesla 'burning' through cash, call it what you want, but new models don't just build themselves! Apple farms out the manufacturing of their products, Tesla has to build the factories. And the superchargers don't just pop up...it all cost something and its worth something. EVs drive so much better than gas cars!
10 minutes for a full charge seems on par with gas stations. Kudos to them to them for reaching that parity. It opens the long distance travel use case, which seems to be a major sticking point for EVs. Yes, most people just commute back and forth to work. But most people also value the optionality of taking their car on a 500 mile trip over the weekend.

The one thing I'll admit is a deep ambivalence about Musk. While I believe Tesla, Hyper Loop and Boring Co are all loaded with over the top hype and unrealistic promises, I do see what is being done at SpaceX and can only be impressed.