View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
3 gears = half the cassette? This isn't a 1x6 setup, it's 1x13.

The rare times I have mis-shifted with UltraShift resulted in changing gears 3 gears instead of 2, 2 gears instead of 1, etc. It certainly wasn't a big deal, and I wouldn't want to give up the capability just to avoid an occasional minor mis-shift.

(My wife has Record EPS on her gravel bike, and it is programmed to shift the entire length of the cassette when the button is held down. It has much more of a hair trigger than mechanical Record, yet she has never experienced an unintentional cassette dump.)
With your Ultrashift though were your missed gears at the percentage jumps that Ekar has? Missing a shift that covers two or three gear ratio changes of ~6-7% each is one thing, but missing that same shift at 10-13% is a whole other ballgame.

That being said, for reliability and simplicity I don't see how a Powershift is a negative in the specified typical use of Ekar. Ultrashift is cool and satisfying, but how many times did people actually use it when riding rougher stuff? It's great to have the option, and who knows maybe Campy will bring it back for a later "professional gravel" groupset release in the future, where the speeds are higher and the cassette dumping more essential.