View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 06:24 PM
The B!

2005 Giant TCR Advanced frame... in 2017?

Hola caballeros

What do we think about building up a 2005 carbon frameset in 2017?

I've got a 2005 Giant TCR Advanced frameset collecting dust hanging in my garage. I got it from a bro for almost nothing, and the frame is almost new condition. It was obviously built up and ridden, but obviously not very much - Paint is almost perfect, no chain slap, no chips, super clean.

I'm a carbon frame noob - bought a carbon CX bike this season, but on 33mm tires at 35psi, that doesn't give me much more than my baseline '0' experience rating with carbon.

I read lots of opinions to the effect that carbon has "come a long way" since... some indefinite point in recent history.... but what does that mean? Would I build up this "old" frame and be like "well damn, this bike is a disappointment." Or would I build it up and ride it and be able to appreciate whatever it is about carbon that makes it so speshul?

Purpose would be to road race, but I'd make that call once it's built up and see how I like the ride. IIRC, I did put calipers to the stays and fork and determined there's probably room for 27mms.. but I gotta remember to double check that when I'm home. Have a full EDGE cockpit and probably a 9000 set I'd give it. Seems to me like it would be a sweet bike, and for almost nothing out of pocket

Thanks for your thoughts!

-B