View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 12:11 AM

Disc Rotor Size and Caliper / Frame Compatibility

Looking for people on the forum who might have either; exact experience with the combinations of parts below, or just at least a really good knowledge of disc brake calipers and changing rotors / using adapters etc. Any help well received!

I have a couple of very recently released bikes (both carbon, one Road, one Gravel) from the same brand, and a desire to use the new Yokozuna Ultimo closed hydraulic cable actuated 4 piston disc brake calipers, on my builds.

The bikes currently run with full Sram Force HRD on one, and Sram Red eTap 11 speed mech levers paired with TRP HY RD's on the other. Both of these current builds perform really well, stop great despite me being 220lbs, and use 160mm rotors all round without any adapters whatsoever (the frames are designed specifically in order to achieve this no adapter setup).

The Yokozuna Ultimo calipers ship with their own brand 160mm rotors (so one could assume or guess that they are designed to work with 160mm!?), and only include an adapter for the front fork caliper which in this case should not be needed, and in reality actually pushes the caliper the wrong way (on these frames).

The calipers attach to the frame flat mounts with the supplied bolts perfectly, but at both front and rear on both frames, the correct spacing / distance to the pads comes out to be perfect for a 180mm rotor, and doesn't work with the 160mm rotors attached to all 3 of my interchangeable wheel sets.

So the dilemma is now - do I run the new setup with 180mm rotors on the Gravel bike and try to find an adapter solution for the Road bike so I can still use the current 160mm rotors, or do I scrap the whole change / upgrade because it's not straightforward or ends up being a bit odd / ugly with adapters etc!?

Any helpful / interesting thoughts, questions or comments well received!
Thanks