View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
One thing that I find really interesting is that a big part of cycling’s explosive growth in the past decade (so, post lance et al), is cycling clothing that is not embarrassing to wear and also kind of stylish.

Making gear that isn’t an embarrassment helps remove one of the rites of passage away from riding bikes. “If you are going to have the most fun in your life, you will be embarrassed to be seen by someone you know. You will learn to love it.”

Making gear that is “cool” or “stylish” makes it really easy for people...mainly millennials and women, to get into bikes because they see the activity as a lifestyle as opposed to a sport. The clothing moves away from being required equipment and into being another opportunity to express your special uniqueness.

It sounds like a joke, but I really think that has helped cycling culture and the cycling industry. I am thinking of my close friend that just fell in love with playing golf (apparently it’s as addictive as gambling) but has no friends that golf, hates the gear, and is watching the sport atrophy because it doesn’t appeal to the two new biggest market demographics.

Seriously though, Rapha deserves some credit. I grew up skateboarding and I was so interested in the Rapha brand in the early 2000’s because it was so familiar—they were turning cycling into a lifestyle activity. That opened the gates to all types of riders and riding. Now...let’s talk about gravel next!

I like la passione, I am still consistently impressed with Rapha, my girlfriend (millennial woman) absolutely loves Veloccio. Isadore looks like cool stuff. And then two brands, cafe du cycliste and god and famous represent two interesting takes on bike clothing. CDC is a strong push towards lifestyle with sweater-like outerwear and Pernod pockets. God and famous is this weird almost street wear brand but trends towards performance wear over lifestyle.

Even though I just wrote three paragraphs of text on this, I have to say that this thread needs more pictures!!!
Great answer.