View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
If you like more remote/less traveled destinations, I would save the Grand Canyon for a summer trip and go to the north rim. 10% of the visitors and a completely different experience-in my view much nicer. Much, much nicer. The south rim is crowded and very touristy. Fly to Vegas, drive 3 hours to the north rim. Make reservations for a cabin 6-9 months in advance, eat at the lodge. Great hikes, incredible views, amazing forests and meadows. We went in 2017 the 3rd weekend in July. Temps were in the low 80's during the day and high 50's at night. We were just past peak wildflowers and it was still great.

Sedona as a stand alone from PHX would be a great 4 day weekend. Plenty to do and escape the huddled masses in town.

Likewise Zion and Bryce from LAS. Easy drive. If you go to Zion, check out Grafton, a ghost town south of the park entrance and adjacent to Gooseberry Mesa. Gooseberry is also great, though likely better if you have a mountain bike.

If it were me, I'd stick with one location in any event for a four day weekend. Plenty to do at all of the locations.
Sounds like you could make a case for 3 trips out this way, and with good reason.

The North Rim is really untapped, but at 5 hours from LAS and a short season without being really hardcore, it is easily explained.