View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
I need a plan. Is it even possible?--60yo, 5'10 190#, easily >20 than ideal, and -10 would be huge. Former middling multisport athlete. Been stable weight for 5+ years; stress eater, sugar fiend, modest alcohol, yada yada. The more I ride the more I eat. Weights? A personal trainer? Liposuction?

(Kidding on that last one.)
Really great post. I won’t play the “heel” again in this thread (or I’ll try not to).

Speaking from personal experience as a personal trainer, hiring one will probably not result in weight loss.* That may seem tantamount to career suicide, but it’s the truth. Hiring a good personal trainer will most likely make you fitter and healthier.

To another point you raised: an often overlooked factor is not what you eat by why you eat. Stress eating is a huge issue. Unfortunately, most people don’t ameliorate the stress with broccoli and kale.

Last comment: try to disentangle cycling from weight loss. There are a myriad of health benefits to cycling that don’t show up on the scale. The goal for someone in middle-age should be to set a template for a healthy, functionally fit life.

*there is an obvious distinction between muscle and fat when we’re talking about weight loss.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 12-30-2022 at 04:44 PM.