View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Tell us more. What's the retention like? The 63 mm burrs are certainly impressive though. How does it compare to your Mazzer?

I have up to $750 for a new grinder, and this machine is actually within budget. My current one is really inconsistent with the dosing: sometimes retaining half a gram of grinds, while other times not retaining much. So I would put in dosages of 16.8x grams of beans and get anywhere from 16.2 to 17.5 grams.
I basically single dose and keep beans in airscapes. The Mazzer only works well w.r.t to retention and grind if a few lbs of beans are in the hopper...even then, going between two grind setting...and we're not talking huge movement here, results in really inconsistent shot times given the same 18gm of coffee...which is what I use for a double.

The Niche, on the other hand, not only has really low retention once broken in...we are talking 0.1 to 0.2 gm, but I bounce between two settings every morning, one for 18g caf and another for 9gm caf/9gr decaf. and hit my 30 second 40ml pull +/- 2 seconds. I have a Linea AV so the volumes are precalibrated by me. If the shot pull deviates much from the 30 seconds, it's *mostly* due to the grind as I'm a decent tamper ;-)

I'll post some retention photos tomorrow if you like.

It's really been great for a single dose workflow like mine.