View Single Post
Old 01-23-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Huh. If that's Z2, then I must be doing a lot of Z1 on the trainer. I don't get wrapped around the axle with that stuff, but I thought that Z2 was supposed to allow a more relaxed conversation.

The Marlboro hat is either awesome or insane, not sure which.
The Z2 work that Attia and others espouse makes conversation possible without much gasping, but it should be a bit uncomfortable to talk. But if you attempt to speak for, say 8 to 10 seconds (or more) continuously, without pausing here and there to breathe, you will start to gasp a bit. In terms of RPE, it should be a 3 or 4 (out of 10), or about 12-13 on the Borg (6-20) scale.

The top of Z2 is the target - really the limit you shouldn't exceed. Doing it by HR, if you know your maximum HR (via riding experience) and your resting HR, then the top of Z2 HR is roughly = (.65)(Max-Resting)+Resting. If you don't know your max via experience, you could use 211-(age)(.64), but all formulas for this will be off for a lot of the population, so you are probably better off using the talk test or RPE rather than a calculation, to determine your target HR.

When doing Z2 training you don't want to exceed the Z2 target / limit that your come up with, but you don't want to be more than 5-10 bpm lower than that either. Too low and you won't get much benefit (although most people have the opposite problem of going too hard).

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/