View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
Hey folks! Long time no see! I hope you all had a nice end of 2018 and are off to a great start in the new year.

Gonna try to keep this short (will eventually write up a full post on a yet-to-exist blog of some sort but I'm on my phone right now so it's gonna have to wait)...

After a year of trolling CL I bought a used sprinter van from an electrician in April of 2017. Over the next year or so I worked in my spare time to convert the van from an empty shell into a fully habitable camper. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2018 - the van is complete after a month of rust repair/Bondo/painting during the wettest fall I can remember and a last minute visit to the shop.

First trip (Dec 1-22) - we (Eric + girlfriend Amanda and my cat Eddy Purrckx) hit the road south down the east coast to Florida and back up through Atlanta and Asheville. Lots of lessons learned and overall a good test run before holidays/bday with the fam in MA/NJ.

Currently, I'm sitting at the public hot spring water fill station in Hot Springs, AR - heading into the park today and then south into Texas. Dallas area on Sunday then on to Austin where we plan to spend a week or two, assuming we can find a consistent/free place to park.

From there, we head further South in Texas to Big Bend/El Paso and then west into NM and eventually north as things warm up, then back east...then west ha, we are planning on just roaming around for a year or so following the weather

You can follow along on Instagram if you like, I'll be posting photos along the way to @bauvann (www.instagram.com/bauvann) and maybe creating a blog as well for posting larger pics and thoughts/experiences.

If any of you guys live in anywhere along the way I'd love to meet up and see some of your local roads/trails! Also appreciate any hot tips for free camp locations or other POI's worth checking out. Give me a shout here or via DM on Instagram. Service can be a little spotty in places but I'll get back to you asap!
Dude. Will follow for sure. Utmost respect for getting out there and 'doing it'. My sister-in-law and her dude made this jump 4 years ago and they're loving it (still)(and now make a living from it).

But knowing a bunch who've attempted/still doing this type of thing one of the biggest advantages is knowing where you can safely park for night. If you guys hit Scottsdale ya gotta free spot. If not for the free spot, then I'd still like to meet the guy who's sold me a frame or two on here

Godspeed!