View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Depends on the build- spoke type, rim type, what it's going to be used for.
What he said and the rider's riding 'style'. I had a light customer who beat the crap outta even burley wheels and have had some heavier that were fine with lighter wheels..so YMMV.
IO think in 'general', unless the rim is pretty beefy, I think the 20h front 'may' be a little underbuilt. Also remember, 4 spokes weigh about an ounce.
Quote:
H+Son Arch Type, Sapin x-ray, road only.
Thin spokes and low spoke count..even tho the Archetype isn't a 'light' rim, I think this depends hugely on the rider. Yes, yes, I haven't read the whole thread but I'm sure there are 'I'm a clydesdale and have ridden 1100 gram wheels over baby head rock gardens and they are as true..yada, yada'. BUT, I think 20/24 'may' be a little light, particularly with such thin spokes.
Quote:
Thanks guys, rider is 170lbs, so I’ll go with 24/20
well....there ya go.
Quote:
My wheelbuilder typically does not favor Sapim CX-RAY spokes for most builds unless one simply must have aero profile. Somewhat flexy.
CX-Ray and CXSprint are ovalized thin spokes. If I were designing these and thin, oval spokes are asked for, I'd do it but these VERY expensive spokes add nothing to the build in terms of reliability, or performance. When compared to Sapim Race, Laser or D-Lite spokes.
The 'aeroness', when ya put an unaero body on the bike is lost in the noise.

AND I'd use CXSprint for right side rear

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-22-2020 at 06:24 AM.