View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 10:38 PM

Although I haven't quite hit 200 lbs, I haven't had a problem with the 18/24H Bastognes aka Ardennes that I bought in 2010. In fact I bought a slew of HED wheels that year, Jet 6/9 (same spoke count, probably similar rim), Stinger 6 (18/24), and, later, Stinger 7/9 (18/24) and Stinger 4 (18). The Stinger 4 is pretty flexible laterally but otherwise the wheels have served me well. I've raced, trained, and flown with the Bastognes. 23c tires the entire time. If I was a bit heavier I'd run a slightly wider tire on them.

I was at 200 lbs when I bought an original set of Eurus, steel spokes. I think they were 18/21? Or 16/21? Something low up front, 21 in the rear. Not only were they strong enough, they were really stiff laterally and my favorite normal/narrow rim wheels ever. And due to lack of 10s stuff and lack of money, I raced and trained on the one set of wheels for a season. I ended up with a second set. The first set is under a former teammate's bike, and still going strong. I have the front from the second set, and a local rider bought the rear after his hub broke or something. 23c tires only. Ditto on a wider tire. I'd take them mountain biking with a 2" tire.