View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I rode tubies in college, not looking to go back. Not interested in tubeless either.

Peter, like a lot of the people on this board, I'm interested in new experiences. I've already said I know this isn't going to make me faster in any measurable way, and as far as coffee shop points, I don't spend much time at coffee shops, and I mostly ride alone. Gonna be hard to find people to brag to. Even when it's "parked", I don't have people noticing the FF. I get a fair bit of notice with the Anderson which I think comes from the shiny metal fenders completing the package of what is a beautiful bike. The FF, especially being painted, is much more stealth.

After reading all the responses on the thread I started on light carbon bikes, I think I'm not missing much there in terms of ride experience. Every time I go out on the Firefly I just love that bike, and chant, I am not worthy. I've had some back and forth with Kevin at FF (they are SO responsive) and I've learned some more about FF #275. It was built for a heavier and more powerful rider, and he'd lighten up the frame if they built me a custom, but that's where it doesn't seem like the grams vs $ is worthwhile. It's not going to make the bike smoother over bumpy surfaces than it is now in any perceivable way, and it's very doubtful I'd save as much weight as is possible on the wheels, where conventional wisdom has always said is the best place to take the grams off (is that still accepted?)

Thanks all who have contributed to this thread so far, really enlightening
If you are interested in new experiences i suggest get off the racing bike bandwagon. Grab a long chainstay rivendell , bags to carry stuff and go slow off road on long day rides dressed in anything but lycra. A heavy bike built w/ cheap derrailleurs. Now that is a different riding experience.
You already have lightweight clinchers and want to buy more of the same thing w/ different logos. Then write on paceline about minuscule differences you found on the new stuff while riding the same roads. Huh...
Try something different. Indeed.