View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Got my set today from Excel. Initial impressions:

Putting on the rear skewer, noticed it was way too thin for the huge hole in the hub. Realized there were plastic inserts that go in each end of the axle to narrow down the opening for the skewer. They came off on the white plastic hub protectors when unpacking the wheel. Found them after looking around. A bit of a surprise that they use plastic inserts for this, but guess it makes the hub disc-friendly, too.

Freehub is loud! Sounds like a siren going off when you stop pedaling at high speed. This was just on the bike stand inside so don't know what it'll be like outside.

Nice looking wheels. I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.

I'll get around to trying the Mavic tires eventually, with some tubes, once the dirt roads dry out around here (in a month, maybe?). Have zero plans to try tubeless.
I've never noticed the freehub noise on mine while riding, and it has a "soft" sound while just turning the pedals backwards or coasting slowly.
There are quieter freehubs out there, but I wouldn't call these loud myself (and I am sensitive about such noises). These now have a newer-design ratchet-ring system inside.

The GP5000 Tubeless tires in 25mm size might be a go here, the lowest rolling resistance with good mileage, and likely measuring the full Mavic-prescribed minimum of 28mm as installed on these i22mm rims.

I haven't been carrying a pump or tube on my rides on these, and the low 55psi I am running should result in excellent performance of the sealant.
Both tires lose a few psi each day, which seems kind of high for such high-volume tires (as compared to using tubes).

I mentioned a problem with fitting one of the rear canti brake pads after installing these wider wheels (even though it was mainly that my Fuji's frame was made crooked in that area). I have since found thinner pads/holders that ease any concerns of this sort.

The supplied tires seem fast-rolling for such a soft, fat tire, so if they'll fit your bike maybe give them a try.

Last edited by dddd; 03-25-2019 at 01:49 PM.