Thread: OT metal roofs
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 09:42 AM

We replaced asphalt with a standing seam steel roof.

Pros:
- snow slides off, no more ice dams. This was a big one for us, maybe not for you, depending on where you live.
- 50 year warranty. Hopefully we never need it, but, even if it doesn't last 50 years, it should last much longer than asphalt shingles.
- Easy to mount solar panels on. No holes in the roof to mount panels, they clamp to the standing seams.

Cons:
- It's noisy. when it rains, the reverberates a bit. When it gets hot, it will expand and buckle a little, and make a loud noise. The shape of the sheets accounts for the expansion, so it's not damaging, but, the noise is there.
- Walking on the roof is not easy, and can damage it. It has a max pressure rating, which is higher than the typical pressure for a persons shoe, so it can be walked on, but you do need to be careful. Also, it's much more slippery than a shingled roof. No one really needs to be on our roof very often, so it's not a big deal to us.
- It was more expensive. We did the roof as a part of a bigger project, so I'm not sure exactly the cost difference from shingles, but, it was more.

I think that's it, let me know if you have specific questions. Bottom line, we're happy with it, and would do it again.

Chris