Thread: D2r2 2018
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Some folks have a distain for discussions about tire selection, particularly in regards to D2. I don't hold this grudge. For the most part the discussions are productive, at the least they are entertaining. Okay...…

The first year I did 180K D2 I used 28mm tires. They were the maximum volume that my frame at that time allowed. I survived, and enjoyed every kilometer of the ride.

I've since sporadically done the 100K, and at each edition I used different tires. I mostly increased the volume over the years.

Most certainly the ride of any length can be successfully achieved with any volume tire, but there are some considerations.

At some point during the event you will be letting your machine roll down a descent when you will encounter some heavy washboard. Let me tell you, skinny tires suck when this happens. Your head will detach from the balance of your body when you hit this stuff. It has happened to me.

If you are a tentative descender, larger volume tires will improve your confidence. Letting the machine roll is helpful to smooth out the rough spots, and larger rubber maintains more stability when this occurs.

All of these courses are long slogs, even the 100K. I've found that larger rubber reduces fatigue. The less the machine chatters, the more energy you will have to turn pedals.

I also believe that larger tires mitigate punctures. There was one year when I saw a rider, maybe two, who had Vittoria Pave tires mounted. Maybe they thought D2 was like riding Paris Roubaix? In any event, I don't think they made it twenty miles into their ride before they had exhausted their supply of tubes. I chuckled softly to myself.

Finally, at some point it will rain on D2 day. There, I said it. It hasn't yet, but it will at some point. You will most certainly want copiously large casings attached to your rims when the inevitable rainy day descends on D2.

Despite everything written above, I've marveled at some of the race machines with skinny tires attached to them that have successfully negotiated D2, and with aplomb. My hat is always off to those folks.

Last edited by merckx; 08-02-2018 at 12:38 PM.