View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Not quite car free, but riding gravel around here can be close.
If it weren't for people driving out into the woods to get spring water, there would be even fewer cars.

Post above reminded me of this upgrade I need to have now. On my last ride, a 400km brevet, my Garmin 800 failed to do turn by turn navigation at all even though it was on. And then at night, the color code for the roads had somehow switched to a very thin line and all the colors were the same. So I mostly had to rely on my cue sheet. Then with about 15 miles to go, the garmin just locked up. I don't think I could use my phone for this because of the length of time that I ride. I was thinking about getting a garmin 1030, but the 800 just works so poorly for me even though it has all the elements in place. It's hard to make the leap of faith needed to give them more money.
I used to own the edge 1000 and had issues with it freezing or being glitchy on occasion. When it died in the rain after five years of use I went over to wahoo for a bit and really missed the turn-by-turn and other features of the garmin. I ended up going back to the 1030 and I must say, it's much improved. The battery life is much better than the old garmins, no issue with it freezing up and the turn-by-turn works remarkably well. In addition, what I really like is that it lets me program a destination while I'm riding. Most of the time this looks like me riding out for a couple of hours and then asking for a route home. If I come to a road I don't want to ride it re-routes with no issues. The touch screen also works much better than the edge 1000.