View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I wonder how many amateur mechanics would use the specialized tools enough to amortize their cost vs. just paying a pro to do it right the first time. I'm an ok home tech on mechanical groups using tools I have owned for 50+ years but these helpful instructions are daunting to me.
As noted above, there are only a few tools that are really Campagnolo specific. Most of the tools (allen wrenches, Torx wrenches, pliers, etc.) really should be a part of any home bike mechanics tool set. The cassette tool is cheap and used often enough that it is worth picking up. The same tool can be used for rotor lockrings and threaded BBs, so it is also worth getting. The bleed block (aka oil level tool) and bleed kit are Campagnolo disc brake specific, but they will pay for themselves by the 2nd or 3rd time you do a bleed. The two question marks are:

Campagnolo chain peening tool - this is very expensive, and if you are going to remove the chain regularly (for example, for re-waxing), then you'll probably want to use the new 12spd C-link.

Cup press and removal tools - generic bearing/cup press and removal tools can be used so they can be used on other brands as well, but installing/removing Campagnolo cups is so infrequent, one might have a shop do this rather than investing in your own tools.