View Single Post
Old 12-14-2023, 09:00 AM

NHAero, thanks for your feedback so far. I really did not love the ride of my caad9 and imagine the 10 wasn't significantly better.

I did pick up the genesis equilibrium on the classifieds to build up as long day bike after selling my strael, so I'm looking forward to getting that built for the days when I set out by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Take the reviews you receive with a grain of salt. Why, because you will find opposing reviews on the ride quality.

My HiMod was a delight to ride for rides of 2 - 2.5 hours. After that, I would start feeling every chip and seal of the asphalt. It was a sufferfest. I could not wait to get back home. Then, I would need to detox for a few days before I took the HiMod out again. Yep, it was that harsh riding.

I used to have a Caad 4 (or 5?) long time back. But I do not remember that bike beating me up as bad as the HiMod. Yet, if I were to do it again, I would still buy the HiMod in the heartbeat. Why? It was an absolute delight to ride for 2.5 hours rides. And for rides under 2.5 hours, the HiMod (and my current Emonda SLR) simply cannot be beat. It is a joy to ride it for short rides. Telepathic handling, descends-on-rails, floats up hills like a feather, and all that jazzz....yadayadayada

But then again, there are forumites on this very thread who have professed their love for the ride quality of the HiMod no matter the duration of their ride.

Does it come down to the wight of the rider? Does it come down to what else they have ridden prior? Does it come down to the road conditions where they ride? Could be be something innate in their genes that makes them prefer one bike over the other? Who knows. But the way I see it is that the price of the 2016 era Himod has come down enough to spend the dough and find out for yourself. Just rememeber, it is a pure race bike. One ought to build it and ride it to really experience what Denk had in mind when designing this bike.
Did you have one of the latter ones with wider tires?

Most of my riding is under the 2.5-3 hr timeline. I ride with a bunch of tri-folks and those long weekend rides are over the 3hr mark for me but I'd like to ride my 'fast' bike for those days because I'm slow. I know the bike will hardly make the biggest difference but dang I'll take what I can get to make my brain think that I'm fast!

I'm not opposed to messing with latex tubes for 28's if it meant better ride quality. The bike will likely see a lot of trainer time as well though, which is why I likely won't run tubeless tires on it but could see that being a little better for ride quality than latex tubes... just harder to deal with when something runs out of air.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 12-14-2023 at 09:04 AM.